My struggle with PMDD – (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder)
I’ve suffered years of depression and have worked very hard to heal a lot of my emotional trauma. I started my profession so that I may teach others the same tools that worked for me. My most important tool is my awareness; knowing and being educated about my body has helped me understand the shifts my body as a women goes through.
Meditation has helped me connect with myself. I go in my body and become one with all aspects of me. I’ve learned where my trauma stemmed from and how the physical body has coped and reacted due to these traumas.
I grew up in a household where the women in my family are very strong and work very hard . They took a very masculine roll in life and hated the role of being a house wife; maybe because they felt they needed to do both. My mother constantly abandoned the times she was tired and needed rest. She ignored the signs her body gave her, the rest she needed, especially when her monthly cycle would arrive. She lived in a constant internal battle between being her Divine Feminine and what she felt she needed to do outside of herself for survival. This created a very shaky foundation and I adopted the same belief.
This belief along side my emotional trauma effected my root chakra (located by the base of the spine governing – grounding , fight or flight response, self worth and material needs) which if is unbalanced can cause depression, poor immunity, struggle outside of yourself, feeling the need for survival and super stressed. The other chakra effected was my sacral chakra (located by the naval, governing emotion, sexuality, reproductive system, creativity, cravings, addictions, and Divine Feminine) which due to my trauma has caused my hormones to now create PMDD.
PMDD is a more severe form of PMS, for those who suffer PMS can probably relate to the feelings before your monthly friend shows up: irritability, anger, frustration, food cravings, no motivation, tired, confrontational, fogginess, overeating, out of control feelings, bloating, headaches, swollen breast and emotional sensitivity. PMDD is even more of an intense experience, literally fall into complete despair, you want nothing to do with life, your emotions are completely taking over and your anxiety is heightened.
I’m not a medical professional but I did my research from a metaphysical perspective and learned the symptoms of PMDD. Please also check with your doctor to see what your options may be if you’re not in the space to try and heal it through natural ways. Maybe even do both! There is no right or wrong way!
The spiritual meaning of PMDD manifests so that you can learn to SLOW DOWN! Since this also effects your sacral chakra it’s a time to check in with the beliefs you adopted as a child. Are you rejecting your Divine Feminine? What type of people are in your tribe?
It’s a time to really do some self reflection. It may be time to cut ties with old patterns and beliefs about what defines a woman. This time is to reflect, especially if you need to move forward to create the things you want to “give birth ” to. The root chakra and sacral chakra govern those areas of creating and manifesting your desires, so if you have limiting beliefs and values then you may be resistant to change and life!
Oh boy!!! It got me really thinking about my own crap that I adopted and I’ve finally taken ownership that I have to live for me and create what joy I need in my life. I’ve taken a more holistic approach to healing and bringing balance back into my life.
Here are my steps,
1. Slow down, meditate, rest, spend time in nature, short walks and yoga . Please note that once your monthly cycle arrives the symptoms subside
2. Pay attention to your monthly cycle, 7-4 days before your cycle begins document your mood and if your feeling down you may want to call in sick or take some time off. Make your schedule less intense. Cancel appointments and do your best to stay away from stressful situations
3. Anxiety is heightened at this time so write out your feelings in a journal, again if you need time to rest do so! Your body is begging you to pay attention, things will get done when they need to get done stop pushing against yourself.
Anxiety is anger and grief so pay attention to past situations that may have caused you emotional traumatic experiences that you have suppressed. Our monthly cycles are designed to help us purify our system so if you’re holding emotion in, you’re in resistance to your clearing and healing!
4. Baths, warm soups and teas (teas that help with calming).
5. Ask for people to support you at this time, family and friends and notice who doesn’t support you. These are people you may want to distance yourself from (eliminate from the tribe and check in with the beliefs and values again).
6. There are natural solutions to help relief some of the symptoms. I am currently taking a homeopathic remedy to help balance my hormones. Your doctor may recommend you going on birth control to help regulate your hormones. Any help is better then no help, but also be aware that this is an emotional issue and needs to be addressed and healed.
This can be a lot to deal with, but I completely understand how you feel. I’ve suffered for a long time. Now I’m in the space of awareness and healing. You are not alone!
May love and light guide you home.